- Develop a plan to teach a skill. Have your merit badge counselor
approve the plan. Make teaching aids. Carry out your plan. With your counselor,
check to see if you have successfully taught the skill.
- Choose a product or service. Build a sales plan based on its good points. Try to
"sell" your merit badge counselor on buying it from you. Talk with the counselor
about how well you did in telling about the product or service and convincing the
counselor to buy it.
- Do the following:
- Show how you would make a telephone call inviting an expert in the field of
your choice to give a demonstration to your unit on that person's area of
- Show how to create an effective recorded message and how to leave a
- Do the following:
- Write a 5-minute speech. Give it at a meeting of a group.
- Show how to introduce a guest speaker.
- Attend a town meeting where two or three points of view are being given. Listen
and take notes. Make a report from your notes. Tell your troop or patrol what
you think you heard.
- Do ONE of the following:
- Write to the editor of a magazine or your local newspaper to express your
opinion or share information (on any subject you choose). Or, write to an
individual or organization to request information (on any subject). Send
your message by fax or electronic mail, if possible. Otherwise, mail a
traditional paper letter.
- Create a page on the World Wide Web for yourself or to give information
about your unit, school, or other organization. Include at least one article
and one photograph or illustration.
- Use desktop publishing to produce a newsletter, brochure, flier, or other
printed material for your unit, school, chartered organization, or other
group. Include at least one article and one photograph or illustration.
- Plan a troop court of honor or campfire program. Give it to the patrol leader's
council for approval. Write the script. Prepare the program for reproduction. Act
as master of ceremonies.
- Prepare an autobiographical resume that you would use in applying for a job.
- Check careers in the field of communications. Choose one career and discuss with
your counselor the qualifications and preparation needed for it.