- Prepare a short written report or outline for
your counselor, giving a detailed description of
your collection, including a short history.*
- Explain the growth and development of your
- Demonstrate your knowledge of preserving and
displaying your collection.
- Explain the precautions that are needed to be taken to
preserve your collection, including
Note precautions for dampness, sun, or other weather
- Explain how to best display your collection, keeping in
mind preserving as discussed above. Explain to your
counselor the events available for a hobbyist of this
- Demonstrate your knowledge of collecting and investing.
Discuss with your counselor:
- How investing and speculation would apply to your
- What you would look for in purchasing other collections
similar to yours
- What you would expect in return value in the event you
decided to sell all or part of the collection
- Do the following:
- Discuss with your counselor at least 10 terms commonly
used in your collection and be prepared to discuss the
definition of each.
- Display to your counselor two different sets of your
collection and a description of each area of the sets.
(Note: if your collection is too large to transport and your
counselor is unable to view your collection directly,
photographs should be available to explain and display.)
- Explain how your collection is valued by other collectors
and display to your counselor any price guides that may
- Explain how your collection is graded, including the
categories mentioned above for value, physical defects,
size and age. Show the various classifications used in your
- List the national, state, or local association responsive to
- Show the location of and explain to your counselor the following:
- Identification number (if applicable)
- Brand name (if any)
- Any other special identification marks
- Discuss with your counselor how you became interested in this
collections and the plans you have to continue with the collection
in the future.
- Discuss with your counselor the career opportunities that may be
available involving your collection.
* Stamp and coin collecting are excluded from eligibility for this merit